What is a Word Wall?
It's an organized collection of words that you display in a very visible way in your classroom. It is a great tool for beginning readers and writers as it shows the phonemic relationship between words while also letting children learn and apply phonics skills.
Different Types of Word Walls
Word Walls are very versatile. Some common types are:
- High Frequency/Sight Word Word Wall
- Seasonal Word Wall
- Word Family Word Wall
- Content Area Word Wall
- Spelling Words Word Wall
- Frequently Misspelled Word Word Wall
- Literature Based Word Wall
- Student Created Word Wall
Here are a few examples of Word Walls:
1. Culture, Curriculum, Change!
2. Flamingo Fabulous in Second Grade
3. A Teacher's Idea
4. Hammond Indian School District
5. Classroom Teacher Resources